I’m going to the beach a week from tomorrow. Last Friday I decided I needed a beach music playlist…NOT a California beach music playlist, but a CAROLINA beach music playlist.
And there is a difference.
The creation of my beach music playlist is responsible for the earlier post, Double-Shot. Most of the songs are there because they are indeed Carolina beach classics, although some have been re-mastered. The rest are there because I remember listening to them as a child, when you could go to Cherry Grove and avoid the Myrtle Beach crowds.
So, here it is…..my ultimate Carolina beach music playlist:
- I Love Beach Music (The Embers)
- Summertime’s Calling Me (The Catalinas)
- Myrtle Beach Days (The Fantastic Shakers)
- Ocean Boulevard (Band of Oz)
- Carolina Girls (General Johnson and the Chairmen of the Board)
- With This Ring (The Platters)
- Miss Grace (The Tymes-remastered)
- You’re More Than a Number in My Little Red Book (The Embers)
- Double-Shot of My Baby’s Love (The Swingin’ Medallions)
- Be Young, Be Foolish, Be Happy (The Tams)
- Hey, Hey Baby (Bruce Channel)
- Dock of the Bay (Otis Redding…and Yes, I know it’s San Fran…)
- Up on the Roof (The Drifters)
- Sixty-Minute Man (The Embers)
- Under the Boardwalk (The Drifters-re-recording)
- Save the Last Dance for Me (The Drifters-re-recording)
- Hey Baby/39-21-46/I’ve Been Hurt (Buddy Causey)
- Hold Back the Night (The Trammps)
- Unchained Melody (The Righteous Brothers)
- How Sweet it Is (Marvin Gaye)
- Love Potion Number Nine (The Searchers)
- Turn Around, Look at Me (The Vogues)
- Going Outta My Head/Can’t Take My Eyes Off of You (The Letterman)
- Soul and Inspiration (The Righteous Brothers)
- You’ve Lost that -Lovin’ Feeling (The Righteous Brothers)
- Poison Ivy (The Coasters-re-recording)
- There Goes My Baby (The Drifters-re-recording)
- On Broadway (The Drifters-re-recording)
FWIW….Pass me the Coppertone, please.
I’ve been doing that this summer. While it’s true that we do try and go somewhere every summer, that’s usually just for a week. Since the middle of June I’ve spent a week in the Dominican Republic with Baby Girl, a week in the mountains at Jesus camp with Wubby and Baby Girl, and 35+ teenagers I know, and another 750 I don’t know, and a week at Hatteras with Alecto and her girls, plus 1.
So, the DR: we built a concrete block wall, one of the kids was attacked by ants, it was hot. But it was Cielo and that’s just fine.
Jesus camp: For the first time in my 5 trips to camp, I hiked Rec Hill every day at least once, most days more than once. The weather was perfect, like early fall in the NC mountains instead of mid-July.
Hatteras: Alecto spoiled me rotten. It’s amazing that people who’ve only “met” in cyberspace can actually spend a week together in the real world and not feel awkward, but I think we managed. I think I may have been on one “all girl” trip to the beach, but we were all related. This was just us girls. We put up a screen house by ourselves. It’s in my back yard now, waiting for me to put it back up and see how it weathered the storms. The screen house had adventures too. The only time we ate out all week was when we had dinner w/ Alecto’s dad at their beach house. The last time I was on the Outer Banks was 27 years ago and that was Nags Head. Until last week I had never been to any place on the Outer Banks south of Manteo. I have been to other barrier islands in NC; we have bunches. Just not Hatteras. On the way home I stopped by the lighthouse and took some pictures. Also caught a doe and her fawn having breakfast.
There will probably be one more week of suitcase living before school starts back, a week in Todd, NC at the butterfly house.
Where did summer go?